Postdoctoral Researcher Position: Arctic-Boreal Ecosystem Modeling
Postdoctoral Researcher Position: Arctic-Boreal Ecosystem Modeling - Job # BRPD17
SUMMARY: The Woods Hole Research Center seeks a post-doctoral researcher with a focus on land surface modeling in boreal and arctic ecosystems. The successful candidate will work closely with the lead scientist and collaborators to assess how changes in climate, vegetation, disturbances, permafrost, and other properties have been impacting high-latitude carbon cycling using the Community Land Model (CLM). This position requires advanced Earth system modeling experience, including the ability to develop model code, conduct experiments, and manipulate large data sets.
Responsibilities - The successful candidate will:
- Lead model development for photosynthesis, respiration, phenology, and permafrost modules.
- Perform complex geoprocessing, including the application of benchmarks to multiple land surface models.
- Conduct model experiments to understand changing seasonal CO2 fluxes in boreal forests and arctic tundra.
- Analyze and integrate a variety of observational data, including remote sensing products, atmospheric CO2 metrics, and in situ fluxes.
- Work in a highly collaborative environment to analyze, synthesize, and present results.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Ph.D. degree in Environmental Sciences, Earth System Science, Ecology, or a related discipline, with a demonstrated ability to develop and apply land surface models (experience with CLM is preferred), conduct spatial analysis, and manage large data sets.
- Excellent ability to use relevant computing resources and learn new skills as needed.
- Knowledge of boreal and arctic ecosystems, vegetation dynamics, and carbon cycling.
- Ability to think and work across disciplines and scales.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.
Desired Start Date: June 2017 Application Deadline: March 15, 2017 Salary Range: $50,000 to $55,000, with full benefit package, exempt position. Appointment: This is a two-year appointment, with the opportunity to extend.
Application Instructions: To apply, please send cover letter referencing “Post-Doctoral Researcher Job # BRPD17”, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type “BRPD17” in the subject line.