SAR Image Processing Research Engineer
JOB reference : SAR-IMA-ATK-16-01
Company Description and Context
Along-Track SAS is a young SME dedicated to research and development in satellite remote sensing. The main applications for this research activities are :
• the monitoring of sea-ice near the poles
• the monitoring of inland waters (river, lakes).
For more information please consult www.along-track.com.
The ongoing activities of the company encompass several ESA and CNES contracts related to radar altimeters and imagers together with other (european) partners.
The working conditions at Along-Track SAS are those of a start-up within a team of passionated and enthusiastic staff. They rely on team working and team-spirit (reduced hierarchical levels), learning fast and together, sharing ideas, focusing on technical work.
To support its development and recently awarded projects, Along-Track is looking for a talented engineer with experience in SAR Image formation and exploitation, SAR Interferometry (for both imagers and altimeters) and Image Processing.
An experience with the application of SAR imaging to the cryosphere and especially sea-ice and/or marine applications will be much appreciated.
The position also naturally requires skills in programming, data processing and computer science in general.
The position comprises the following tasks (the list is not exhaustive) :
• to support the company researches in remote sensing and particularly on the use of altimetry and imagery for sea-ice and and hydrology.
• to provide technical / operational support to our clients and partners utilising SAR images (Sentinel-1 and other past, present, future missions) : this support includes images interpretation and the development / upgrade / debugging of tools to download, visualise and process L1A and L1B products (images) together with auxiliary data when needed, with the aim to produce higher level products (such as sea-ice maps, water masks, surface motion vector fields...).
• to develop scripts and tools for classifying, indexing, and archiving SAR images.
• to contribute to the dissemination of the scientific results of the activities performed.
• to contribute to knowledge transfer and cross-fertilisation across the team.
• to progressively take part to the project management activities.
Candidates shall have, as a pre-requisite, a demonstrated experience in the development, implementation, and/or operation of SAR images processing software.
The understanding of the main processing steps in Synthetic Aperture Radar image formation is mandatory and especially azimuth focusing.
This multi-year experience shall include :
• experience in algorithm development for Earth Observation ;
• experience in scientific data processing implementations. Experience with large, complex processing systems or parallel processing would be an advantage ;
• experience in scientific coding on Unix-based platforms :
◦ C, python, matlab and shell scripting are required,
◦ C++ and java would be an advantage ;
• experience with Linux/Shell command line ;
• holding a PhD is a significant asset ;
• experience in sea-ice remote sensing is an asset especially sea-ice drift measurement, sea-ice classification ;
• experience with Geographical Information System (in particular QGIS and GIS open source libraries) is an asset.
The position requires excellent interpersonal, communication and reporting skills, combined with the ability to work autonomously. The official languages of Along-Track are English and French. The candidate shall in any cases be at ease with writing and speaking English.
Travels within Europe will be necessary to meet clients and/or partners and to attend trainings and events such as conferences.
Working conditions and package
*Expected Start Date: ASAP
*Contract Type : Permanent contract, with a 4 months renewable probationary period.
The work contract is governed by the "Convention de la Métallurgie Cadres" and the applicable laws in France.
*Duty Location : The post is located for now in Plougonvelin (French Brittany at sea-side nearby the touristic city Le Conquet and nearby the city of Brest), the company may need to open an office either in Italy or in Toulouse sometime in the future.
*Administrative Pre-requisite : all applicants must not only be prepared but also be able to relocate quickly to Plougonvelin, France. If you are shortlisted for interview you will be asked to bring to the interview original diploma and documents giving evidence of permission to work in France.
*Gross Salary : will be defined according to expertise and the standard practises in Brest area and in the company, ranging between 2400€/month and 2600€/month.
*Social Schemes & Insurances :
The following social security schemes are included :
• Retraite Compl. (complementary Retirement Scheme) (ARRCO et AGIRC) contract @ KLESIA RETRAITE PARIS,
• Prévoyance (Salary Insurance for Health & Accident) contract @ HARMONIE MUTUELLE BREST,
• Mutuelle (Complementary Health Insurance) contract @ HARMONIE MUTUELLE à BREST.
• Health Insurance (Assurance Maladie) contract @ CPAM Finistère BREST.